Tuesday, 16. October 2012 - 1:00 pm
The UK Music Video Awards 2012 are partnering with premium music video and entertainment platform VEVO to give the general public the chance to pick their favourite UK music video of the year in the People’s Choice Award – which has launched today (October 16th).
Eighteen of the most popular British videos of the past year – including videos by Calvin Harris, Labrinth, One Direction and Rita Ora – are in the shortlist for the People’s Choice Award, which will be decided via a new voting portal powered by VEVO.
Voting in the People’s Choice Award is open from today, Tuesday October 16th until Friday, November 2nd, at VEVO’s Facebook page. Fans initially get the chance to choose one of two videos by one of the nine shortlisted British artists. When a final shortlist of nine videos is reached, these will go head to head against each other to decide the People’s Choice MVA for 2012. Voting has opened today with fans being able to vote for one of two Labrinth videos, Earthquake, or Express Yourself.
The People’s Choice Award is the only honour at the UKMAs decided by the public – all the others are chosen by industry professionals – and the second year in succession that the MVAs and VEVO have partnered to present the People’s Choice. Last year, JLS’s Eyes Wide Shut, directed by Syndrome, won the award.
The winner of this year’s People’s Choice will be announced, as with all the other winners, at the 5th annual UK Music Video Awards ceremony at The Empire cinema in Leicester Square in central London on Thursday November 8th.
The nominations are:
• Calvin Harris – “We’ll Be Coming Back” ft. Example (dir. Saman Keshavarz) and “Sweet Nothing” ft. Florence Welch (dir. Vincent Haycock)
• Cheryl – “Call My Name” (dir. Anthony Mandler) and “Under The Sun” (dir. Anthony Mandler)
• Conor Maynard – “Vegas Girl” (dir. Travis Kopach) and “Turn Around” ft. Ne-Yo (dir. Colin Tilley)
• Emeli Sandé – “Next To Me” (dir. Charles Mehling) and “My Kind Of Love” (dir. Dawn Shadforth)
• Jessie J – “Domino” (dir. Syndrome) and “Laserlight” (dir. Jonas & Francois)
• Labrinth – “Earthquake” ft. Tinie Tempah (dir. Syndrome) and “Express Yourself” (dir. Jonas & Francois)
• One Direction – “One Thing” (dir. Declan Whitebloom) and “Live While We’re Young” (dir. Vaughan Arnell)
• Professor Green – “Read All About It” ft. Emeli Sandé (dir. Henry Scholfield) and “Remedy” ft. Ruth Anne (dir. Pierre-Edouard Joubert)
• Rita Ora – “R.I.P” ft. Tinie Tempah (dir. Emil Nava) and “How We Do (Party)” (dir. Marc Klasfeld)
Tom Connaughton, Director of Programming at VEVO says: “It’s great to be working again with the MVAs to showcase some of the best music video talent this country has to offer. It’s really important for VEVO to let the fans decide which is their favourite video of 2012, which is why we’re powering the People’s Choice award for a second year. There have been so many exciting videos to choose from in the last 12 months it’s going to be tough for people to pick a winner.”
Information and ticket booking forms for the UK Music Video Awards ceremony and aftershow on November 8th can be found at the UKMVAs website.